In 1933, during The Great Depression, Phil Caruso had been living in California, selling linoleum door-to-door, along with his brother, Sam. He read in the newspaper with great interest how President Franklin Delano Roosevelt had helped get the construction of the Grand Coulee Dam underway. It was Phil’s belief that his hometown of Spokane would economically benefit by the construction of the dam and pull through the Depression. He moved back to Spokane and opened up The Linoleum Shop in the building that had housed his father’s former grocery store, on Monroe Street. The Linoleum Shop was the very first specialty floor covering store in Spokane. Prior to its opening, floor covering was only sold in department stores.
Now, 83 years later, The Linoleum Shop has changed it’s name to Caruso’s Floors. Second and third generations are at the helm. Phil’s son, Bill, and his son, Mark own and operate Caruso’s Floors and have expanded the business, substantially, from its humble beginnings; having moved to its current location in 1974 along with expanding the flooring products they sell.Keeping the latest trends and home fashions in the forefront – you’ll find all types of flooring available, from hardwood, to ceramic tile, porcelain, granite, cork, bamboo, area rugs, carpeting, and of course, linoleum. In addition, their work has grown into new areas of flooring, with new construction, commercial, as well as residential. “We’re grateful for the support of the Spokane community for the last seventy-five years,” states Bill, “our returning customers are the people who make this business great!”